Wednesday 29 February 2012

Schooling... a bit differently

When it comes to schooling... we do things a bit *differently*.



Pinned Image

I get up each morning, eat breakfast and complete chores.. and then begin school. Though, our school is special. Each day varies... sometimes the schoolroom is outside in the beautiful sunshine... or in my room with a cup of warm tea... sometimes it is on the kitchen table, with the sound of my family around me.


Sometimes we take a spontaneous field trip...sometimes life skills are our schooling.... but each new day comes and as they go, I am learning more and more, and cherishing each day as I embrace homeschooling.
I still have my Algebra, Chemistry, Literature, and all the studies that a student must receive. But I also get an experience. Homeschooling, to me, is a lifestyle, not just an education. It is taking all the studies one must learn, and learning them at home... living them at home.

 The time around my family, from eating meals together, figuring out English difficulties with my mom, to bike rides on beautiful afternoons, is one of the greatest blessings of being homeschooled.



Pinned Image


I am often filled with joy as I sit down with my school books to read... either walking into the world of Corrie Ten Boom and the life that she lived during World War 2, or learning about the amazing design the Creator has filled the universe with as I study the molecules and atoms that make it up.
It is not just studying a textbook... it is embracing a journey.


Pinned Image


Our schedule is structured, but centered around the verse which tells us that though man may plan his paths, the Lord establishes His steps...
{Proverbs 16:9}
Being homeschooled is one way that we as a family strive to apply the commands in Deuteronomy 6, to teach our children of the Lord, to talk of Him when we come in and go out, when we lie down and when we rise up... to have His words daily on our lips and in our lives.
Homeschooling is a gift... a gift which I cherish everyday
{yes, even those hard days when x doesn't equal y :)}

It is a journey...
A calling...
A joy...





Blessings,

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, Shannon! I couldn't agree more. And I love your photography, by the way (those bookmarks are scrumptious).

    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautufully written Shannon. "Homeschooling, to me, is a lifestyle, not just an education." How true. It is a special lifestyle and whoever is able to live it, is given a true blessing.

    Thanks for sharing with us a glimpse of your life. :]

    ~Devin

    P.S. I agree with Abby, your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your sweet comments... they are a blessing to read!

    {PS~ The photos are from Pinterest... a website that is so helpful when it comes to blogging!}

    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started up an account with Pinterest about 2 months ago... what name do I type in to find you? :]

      If you don't want to share it on here I understand, I'll see if I can email you through your blog.

      ~Devin

      Delete
  4. I am homeschooled too. Your right everyday is different. Somedays you get done with school really early and other days you get done really late.

    Would you like to check out my blog?

    godsgirlz1.wordpress.com

    ♥Godsgirlz1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you put it, that homeschooling is a lifestyle and not just an education. I find it funny that nonhomeschoolers think we're missing out--there's much more to life than pop quizzes and essays, and as homeschoolers we can experience it to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...