Saturday 12 May 2012

the most important meal of the day

I've always loved breakfast. Since it is the most important meal of the day (per the old-fashioned idiom, but also in scientific fact), I've always considered it as a teensy bit more deserving of my whole-hearted attention than the rest of the meals. That, and I just like sweet food that is still considered good for me by dint of being part of a proper meal. One dish that I especially love, and make at least once a week, are cinnamon rolls. I absolutely adore cinnamon rolls, whether from a tube or from another person's kitchen, or from my own. When I discovered this recipe, I found that it was absolutely wonderful, and I couldn't help but share.

I'd hoped to get some pictures of the steps, but I've been crazy busy and had no time to pull them together so, alas, step-by-step pictures shall have to wait until the next time we post about our favorite recipes. So, without further ado: Sweet cinnamon biscuits.

2 cups sifted flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
8 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup milk, optional

I usually eliminate the salt as a matter of course; it can give them a rather sour taste. Also, if you've not got buttermilk in the house, you can add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the cup of regular milk, and let it sit for about ten minutes. It serves the same purpose, and gets the right taste into it.
Also feel free to play with the cinnamon/sugar ratio; it took me quite awhile to get it how I like it.
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet or round tin lightly. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and soda in a medium bowl and mix well. Stir in vegetable oil; use a whisk to make sure most of the lumps are out. It will clump a little, but should crumble easily. Add buttermilk and stir just until blended
  2. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth--if you knead it a bit longer than strictly necessary, it will make the rolls soft and moist.. Roll dough into a rough rectangle.
  3. Spread softened butter over the dough. Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle over butter. Roll up the rectangle, jelly roll fashion, starting from one long side. Pinch seam to seal.
  4. Cut the roll in 1-1/2 inch slices. Arrange the slices, cut side up, in prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Removed from oven. You can pour milk over the top if desired. Serve hot.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...