Monday 8 October 2012

Following By Example....

How can we serve others?  How do you serve others?  How does Christ want us to serve?

“But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many”  (Matthew 20:26–28).

The life of Jesus Christ was one of complete service and surrender.  There was no task that he looked down upon, no person that he lifted his nose up at and no circumstance that He did not see as part of a bigger plan.

His example of how we as Christians are to live, was one of a true servant.  Almost everything that Jesus did was in regards to serving others.  He prayed for them, helped them, healed them, listened to them, spoke with them, encouraged them, fed them, trained them and set example that they might live by while he was on earth.

So, how are some ways we can serve others?  Here are two ideas that I think are sometimes the most important.


This photo was taken by  life is good (pete) and I found it on flikr
 1. Pray for others ~ Holding others up in prayer is one of the best ways to serve.  I think often times we use prayer as a last resort when we want to help someone, because our thoughts are always "How can I help them?".  There is nothing wrong with that thought, but there is Someone who can help far better then we can.  I know this is something that I need to really make a habit of doing and make the first question I think of "How can Christ help them?".  He can do what we can only dream of doing.

"Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:" ~ Isaiah 42:5

2. Pray with  them ~ I can't  tell you how many times someone has offered to sit down and pray with me and when we finished praying, whatever the situation was, I felt better about it. 
Praying with others helps:
a. The other person get their focus back on Christ
b. It helps you both to place the matter in God's hands and trust him
c. To bring a peace to both of your hearts

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them". ~ Matthew 18:20

I'm sure all of you have favorite ways you love to serve!  For some of you it may be making meals for those who are sick.  For some it might be babysitting for friends and family.  Others might enjoy cleaning or maybe even just spending an afternoon listening to someone share their heart. 

As I looked at some of the Commands of Christ , I realized that several of them have to do with service.

(Helping the Poor) "Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbors; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: and thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just”  (Luke 14:12–14).

(Helping Children)“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven”  (Matthew 18:10).

(Denying Ourselves) “And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it”  (Luke 9:23–24).

(Do Unto Others) “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets”  (Matthew 7:12).

(Feed His Sheep) “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jona, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jona, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jona, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep”   (John 21:15–17).

I would like to finish this post with a quote by J. Hudson Taylor.

"I used to ask God to help me.  Then I asked if I might help Him. 
I ended up by asking Him to do His work through me."



1 comment:

  1. These are some wonderful insights, Devin. You're right; we often treat prayer as a last resort when it is actually our most powerful weapon against the enemy!

    Some of those commands of Christ hit me hard. It is so easy for me to get wrapped up in what I am doing and forget that I am called to serve others more than I serve myself.

    Thank you for the reminders :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...