Monday 29 October 2012

Hobbies = Idols?

Happy Monday!

When asked to write this article, part of me shriveled into a wrinkly little bundle, while the other half was excited to share. Why? I am known for having many hobbies. Art, music, sports, hairstyling, writing -- you can catch me doing pretty much anything but dancing (in which I trip over myself. A lot). It’s just that for me, hobbies tend to become a distraction.With committing to so many different hobbies, it’s easy not have any time for the important things. Like living. 

Art is one of my very favorite hobbies of all time. I guess you could say I was born into it considering my mom is an art major, fanatic, and teacher. I love everything about art -- the gorgeous colors, pretty patterns, and the endless possibilities. But once I get started drawing or painting, I never want to stop. Its like I get lost in my own magical world and I don’t want to leave. 

But I have to stop and remember, hobbies are all about moderation. 

In Hebrews 12:1, the Lord says, “...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” God is telling us here to rid ourselves of distractions. 

**Cue the inevitable gasps of horror**

BUT WAIT! This doesn’t mean we have to stop doing things that we love, but that we need to remember to not let them become idols. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having hobbies. God does not say “thou shalt sit around and be bums.” In fact, He encourages us to have hobbies (Ephesians 9:10). 

The bottom line is that God commands us to put Him first (Exodus 20:3). Remember, in Matthew 6:24 the Lord reminds us that “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and [__insert hobby or addiction here__].”

God has gifted us with many talents that can be used for His glory. If you can sing, sing for His glory! If you can dance, dance to praise His name! If you write, write of His mercies unending! He has given us our hobbies. Let’s not put them to waste!

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (ESV)
“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with [all of] your might...”

3 comments:

  1. That is a great reminder, Mary Kate! We so often fail to realize how much time we're spending doing the non-essential things...it can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, MK. I needed that. I've been writing too much lately.
    (and my apologies, Abigail. Last time I commented, I forgot to include my name.)
    Melody
    http://thesongofthemaidens.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all! :) I get caught up with this so much. I thought I'd share something that I struggle with as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...