Monday 25 March 2013

Dealing with Doubt

We know the answers to the questions. Theology was a required subject in our school. And yet, we are ashamed because sometimes, when we are alone we doubt. We wonder if we are doing things right, if we really know God, or doubting whether what we have placed our faith in is right.

Doubt by Beshef
Doubt, a photo by Beshef on Flickr.
I have to admit, I have been going through a rough patch where I have been doubting and questioning a lot. I felt like reading my Bible and praying wasn’t helping. I just wanted God to take the fear and doubt away and the verse kept coming to mind “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV)

I was scared. I thought everything that I had built my life on and I knew was true was slipping away. However, as usually happens God used a devotional I was reading to help me. The author reminded me of the verse “Your enemy the devil is prowling around outside like a roaring lion, just waiting and hoping for the chance to devour someone.” (1 Peter 5:8 The Voice)

The evil one cannot snatch us out of Gods hand (John 10:28). But he does seek to make our witness ineffective. He whispers lies to make us doubt. So when he whispers a lie, you combat it with the truth. Truths like:
  • God loves you and NOTHING can separate you from that love (Romans 8:38-39)
  • God is slow to anger (he isn’t going to me mad if you doubt sometimes) (Exodus 34:6, Numbers 14:18, Nehemiah 9:17, Psalm 86:15, Psalm 103:8, Joel 2:13, Jonah 4:2)
  • Jesus was tempted in every way (I think that means he doubted as well) (Hebrews 4:15)
  • God will never leave you or never forsake you. (Hebrews 13:5)
  • Rebuke the evil one and he will flee (James 4:7)

We doubters are also in good company:
  • Moses doubted God’s plan, even as he spoke through a burning bush.
  • Peter doubted while he was walking on water.
  • The disciples doubted after they had seen Jesus risen from the dead.

I would like to leave you with these verses.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” 

- John 14:1, 27


Sarah Holman is a homeschool graduate and lives in central Texas with her family. She works part time at the Texas state capitol, which still gives her plenty of time to write books, blog posts, and articles. If you want to contact information, learn more about her, or her published books, visit her blog http://destinyofone.blogspot.com/.

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sarah! John 14:27 is a wonderful promise- one I needed to hear today. Sometimes we put too much stock in what we can do (did I really pray right? am I missing something? are my motives pure?). We start putting our faith in our reasoning, feelings, and abilities instead of Jesus as Satan attempts to trash our lives. Jesus is enough. The work is done for us, there's no need to doubt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an encouraging post, Sarah! It is so good to know that we aren't alone in the struggle with doubt. I just love it when Bible characters can relate to our problems today...our Jesus is amazing isn't He? If you want, you should check out James 1:6 - it's a wonderful verse about doubt from one of my favorite Bible passages. :) I think going through storms of doubt is when we do the most growing (even though that sounds odd). I think it helps us to learn better why we believe what we do, making our beliefs more personal and in the end, helping us to stand stronger.

    Thank you for posting :) It was a pleasure to hear from you!
    Have a fantastic day!
    Love your sis in Christ, Mary Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post, Sarah! I've been thinking a lot about fear, which is a lot like doubt. It is so easy to walk in doubt and fear instead of living by faith! Jesus' promises are enough for us and it is so good to look over them and keep them in mind. Thanks for sharing and reminding us to look to Him!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...