Monday 1 April 2013

5 Ways to Memorize Scripture

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."
2 Timothy 3:16

Did any of you any attend AWANA as a kid? AWANA is a fantastic program that my church holds for youth from 3 years old to 5th graders, and the goal is to teach kids to memorize Scripture - good stuff, right? Every week, the kids come excitedly to church proudly sporting their AWANA vests which bear colorful patches and pins showing how many verses they've memorized. I'll never forget my experiences at AWANA and I still haven't forgotten the Bible verses I learned as a kid.

After I outgrew AWANA, my drive to memorize verses faded. But, honestly, I shouldn't have stopped. As we grow older, we need God's Word more and more in our lives. I can't tell you how many times I wish I knew Bible verses right off the top of my head to give someone for advice or encouragement. Memorizing Scripture is an imperative part of our walks with God - after all, how can we witness to others, teach others, learn about the mind and heart of our Maker without memorizing the Word?

So, how do we go about doing this? Here are five helpful hints on memorizing Scripture that have helped me:

1. Pick a verse and write it down. You may want to start off by memorizing one verse (or passage) a week. Once you find one you like, take the time to write it down - not just some quick scribbles on a Post-it note - but find some nice paper and write it slowly, neatly, and meaningfully, taking time to soak in the words. This will help to begin engraining the verse in your mind. Repeating this step is really helpful.

2. Read the verse aloud. Find a quiet spot and read the verse or passage slowly. Experimenting with different voices sometimes helps (and it makes it more fun ;). If you're a musically gifted person, put the verse to song (WARNING: the song will get stuck in your head for a while). Also, reading it aloud with another person can help.

3. Put the verse in places you can see them. Go to town with sticky notes! You could use the bathroom mirror, your car, a message board, your dresser, the toilet, even your forehead. The point is to make sure that this verse can be seen anywhere you go. That way there's the constant reminder and it starts to become natural to see it - thusly, becoming engrained in your mind.

4. Pray the verse back to God. Doing this step will make it personal for you. For example, if you are memorizing Romans 3:23 you could pray "Father, I know I have sinned and I fall short of Your Glory, but I thank You that You redeem us and give us the gift of eternal life." 

5. Teach the verse to another person. Doing this will not only help the student learn the verse, but you learn it better as well. 

Memorizing Scripture is 100% necessary for a healthy relationship with God. Why wouldn't we want to memorize God's most innermost thoughts? We can respect His Word by applying it to our lives in this way, learning his teachings so that "we might not sin against [Him] (Psalm 119:11)."

How do you teach yourself to memorize Scripture? What's a verse that means the most to you?
Photo Credit: 193.365 - Bible-keh!, a photo by Josh Liba on Flickr.

3 comments:

  1. Splendid post dear! :D I've found that by writing scripture down continuously in my devotions times, writing about them in blog posts, and yes the posting of scripture all over my room has definitely helped keep God's Word in my mind. I need to commit myself to spending time repeating these verses to memory though a little more. :)

    Thank you for your tips and encouragement!
    ~Miss Rachel~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tough area for me. I'll memorize a verse, then not keep practicing, and it flies right out of my head. One thing I found that helps is an app for my iPod called Bible Memory Verses (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible-memory-verses/id350185614?mt=8). You can choose to memorize some of the 1,000 pre-loaded verses, or create your own. The app uses flash cards and fill-in-the-blanks to help with memorizing. I'll have to get back in the habit of using it!

    Thanks for giving me incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, Mary Kate! I especially like the one about praying the verse back to God...I really need to remember to do that more often.

    One of that best ways I have found to memorize is to just read it often. I memorized Psalm 37:3-7 because I was reading at least three times a day at one point.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ~Micaela :)
    www.everydayencouragements.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...