Monday 29 July 2013

Tomorrow?

I was upstairs in my parents' bedroom when my mom came to get something. I flopped down flat on my back. "I just don't know where my life is headed," I sighed to her.

To be honest, I've been a little overwhelmed lately by just looking at my calender for August. Perhaps you're like me in the fact that if there's something going on, if someone is going somewhere and it interferes with the family schedule, I have something to do with it. So naturally, with back to school insanity, activities starting again, and seemingly a zillion things to do before school begins anew, the family calendar is packed. The stress is starting to mess with my mind.

Also, I seem to have a moderate case of pre-new-school-year jitters. Questions (most of them ridiculous) chase each other around and around my brain like cheetahs with jet packs.
What am I going to do with myself this year?
Will I get behind in school again?
Will I get all these projects done?
What will this year be like for my music classes? Will anything change? 

(Ad nauseum

Sometimes I think I want the sense of confidence and certainty, like George Bailey from "It's a Wonderful Life" when he announces, "I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that."

But, as we all know, his life doesn't go quite the way he plans.

This shouldn't surprise us, really. After all, do we really know what we're going to do tomorrow? How about this week? Or this year?

We don't.

You can plan and plan your wedding day when you're eight years old, but do you know when God will make it clear that you are going to marry?
Nope.
Do you know when tragedy will strike and leave your life in shambles?
Nope.
Do you know whether you'll die within the next 20 years or even the next 20 minutes?
No.

That's where the trust part comes in.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." --Jeremiah 29:11

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose." --Romans 8:28

I can worry all I want about what I'm going to do with myself this August and this school year. I can plan and plan and plan and plan some more. But really, if you matched them up, the plans that my puny little brain came up with probably will fall far short of the the plan of the One created everything out of nothing.

But my God has told both me and you--many times, in fact--that His plans are better, His thoughts are higher, and He knows what He's doing.

As a dear friend of mine has said, "Break my plans, Lord. I know yours are a whole lot better." 







5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post, Hannah! I am hearing this message from everywhere. Worry is such a killer--it steals our joy and leaves nothing in its place but emptiness. Yet it's so easy to fall into! Thank you for reminding me that God is the one who has the better plan, and nothing I could worry about is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I needed to hear this from someone else. I know God has a plan in mind for me, I just need to trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very very true! I've been so concerned about the next few months: what I'll do for a job, and whether or not I'll complete/be able to publish a book, is there a guy on the horizon yet or not?....but God has all that under control, and His plans are perfect. :)
    Just the reminder I needed to today, Hannah...thank you for sharing!

    In Christ,
    Micaela

    www.micaela419.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo! Miss Hannah! Praise the Lord! Amen! I've been struggling with this a lot lately. Thank you thank you thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...