Friday 16 March 2012

whatever are you going to do with your life?

I'm a senior in highschool. This brings up a lot of questions about the future, mostly from other people directed to me (not that I don't have questions myself, but I tend to not give them as much thought as other people do to the ones they give me). Top of the list are "So when are you gonna find a guy? *wink*" and "Where are you going to go to college?"

To the first, I usually just laugh and mumble something about waiting on God's timing (actually, I just can't find an old enough guy who'll have me, but I digress). To the second, I usually shock people. My answer isn't exactly the standard one, mostly because I don't jot out a name or even act properly conflicted about my future choices. In fact, by the standards of most people, I'm pretty sure about the whole thing. Except, still, they don't really like my answer.

My answer usually goes along the lines of, "I'm not going to college right off the bat, we'll see what God does, kthxbai." This, naturally, can worry some people, especially those who find it their duty to worry about other people's lives way more than said people do. Invariably, the person I'm talking acts as if I've committed some grievous error and goes out of their way to convince me that I do, in fact, need a college education.

I'm hoping there are some of you out there who can identify with this plight. We get questions, answer them honestly, and then are told (usually with a pat on the back and a little smile) that we're young and so very smart and we should totally go to college so we can get a good job. Even after one gives the most convincing arguments for why college really isn't necessary--the cost, the high unemployment rate among college graduates, the depravity that usually goes on, and the Mrs-degree-oriented Bible school atmosphere--people still carry on, usually by asking "Well then, what are you going to do with your life?"

My answer usually is, "I'm going to be a missionary with a side of political action and a healthy dose of motherhood." And here is where the real kicker comes in. With a look of confusion and an expression of pure woe, they ask, "So you're going to Bible college?"

Nope.
I'm not.
So stop asking.

Okay, so I don't actually say that. But I think it. A lot. So let me just dispel one myth before I stop talking. You don't need a degree to serve God. You don't need to spend $40,000 and four of the best years of your life to serve God. You don't need to get a fancy piece of paper and a bunch of lectures unrelated to your future life to serve God. God doesn't care about those things. When looking for someone to serve him, he doesn't look for what humanity views as the most qualified or the most learned. As the Bible says, he uses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.

He picks a shepherd boy and a kid from the most dysfunctional family imaginable. He picks a prince-turned-slave. He picked a tax collector. He picked a temple prostitute. He used a murdering Pharisee.

Most of these people didn't have a college degree. Some of them didn't even know how to read. They were simple folk, people who had been radically changed by an Almighty God. That was all they needed, and it's all we need as well. College can be helpful, yes. It can teach you things that are necessary if you want to be a physicist or a doctor. But don't think that just because you want to serve God, you have to go to college. Because that's a lie.


8 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Kyla! This truly is a universal issue among girls our age, as here in New Zealand I frequently get asked those same questions.

    My answer to what I am going to do with my life is usually, "I'm doing it!" (that is: serving the Lord wherever HE has me! whether it be in studying, or music, or other, at home or away.)

    The other one I have been asked is, "so if you're not going to college, when are you moving away from home?" My answer to that is, "Not until I get a better offer!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great response, Claire! I haven't gotten a better offer yet :)

      Delete
    2. That's an excellent comeback, Claire. I just might steal that.

      Delete
  2. What you say is quite true. Peter and John were "uneducated and untrained men", and because of this the rulers and the scribes and the elders recognized them as having been with Jesus.

    While college is a useful tool for many, and I personally intend to go, it is not for everyone. If society could see that it would save so much time and money. People tend to see those who don't go to college as unambitious, but sometimes it hinders ambition.

    I like your answers, Claire. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the first one was deleted.. I needed to edit it and it wouldn't let me.

      Your post was great Kyla! I can absolutely relate to the questions that you receive. I decided not to go to college, but stay home and train to be a responsible citizen in our country, to be a godly houswife and daughter, to be a missionary to everyone that I come in contact with, to be an encouragement in my church and to my family, and to "give an answer to everyone that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15), and yet people still look at me strange :]

      Yes, that question of "Where will you find your husband if you don't get your "Mrs." degree?", happens a lot as well and I try to explain to them that if I can trust God with everything else in my life, I can certainly trust Him to write my love story in His timing without any help from Him.

      As you mentioned, God uses all types of people, some with degrees and some without. And that is our main focus in life, to be a usable and willing tool for God to use. I think of so many of the great missionaries you read about and so many of them were just willing to be used by God even without the training that many people told them they needed.

      It's always encouraging to hear about other young ladies who decided that God was not leading them to go to college and to know that your not the only "wierd" one out there =)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Devin

      P.S. I agree with everyone who has commented Claire, your respones are fantastic :]

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Devin. Yeah, I've gotten the "How will you get married" question so often. It annoys me, because these same people are the ones who loudly declare that God will bring your perfect mate to you. If he's going to bring them, why do I need to go anywhere?

      Thanks for your comment. :3

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all the positive feedback on my answers, girls! It's great that we can all "get together" here and have some interesting and encouraging discussions.

    Devin, I really liked your answers as well. Especially that first paragraph. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...