Monday 5 March 2012

When School Becomes Fun

To be homeschooled is a blessing.  There are many advantages that come 
with it, too {as Olivia mentions here}.  


Some people choose to look at school as a chore.  But, with homeschooling, we have more freedom with how we choose to do our subjects than students who attend public or private school.  
It's nice to have that as one of the pros to homeschooling.  

Our moms or dads can make our topics fun instead of dry, boring material that we dread doing 
{except for math...if you aren't a math person, there is not really a way around that one. ;)}.

For as long as I can remember, my favorite subject in school has been history!  I truly believe my mom is the one who taught me to love it so much, by her way of always trying to make it exciting, not just a jumble of boring facts/dates.  Interestingly enough, she never enjoyed history when she was in school and always remembered it as being a dry, uninteresting subject.  But, by homeschooling us, she is able to make our view of history opposite from what hers was.


One way she makes history come alive is by reading historical fiction based on the time period we are learning about.  It is surprising what a clear picture it gives you about characters that lived in history and what their everyday life was like.

History is truly a joy to do!  In particular, I have loved learning about the Ancient Roman time period.

One read aloud my mom tied in with that period in history was The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.  That is a fantastic book!  Other favorites I read were Hostage Lands by Douglas Bond, Pearl Maiden by H. Rider Haggard & Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Another great way to make history fun is going on field trips!  The most memorable was visiting George Washington's home, Mt. Vernon {you can read about that trip here}.  
How amazing it was to walk where our first president lived!


These are just a few of the many things I love about homeschooling.  
Thank goodness for moms who take time to make school fun!

            School is what you make of it.  You can look at it as a chore or an opportunity to learn.
Which one will you choose?


{disclaimer: all images here}

2 comments:

  1. I love reading historical fiction that ties in with my studies!

    You're right, school is mostly what we make of it (though poorly presented material is a drag even to the most enthusiastic of students--but luckily as homeschoolers we have flexibility of curricula!). I hold to the notion that if the student doesn't enjoy learning, something is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that school is what you make it! Great point.

    I read "The Bronze Bow" for school too, and I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...