Saturday 5 January 2013

January 2013 Featured Girl: Melody

Melody is a girl you can usually find working on schoolwork, reading, singing a bazillion different songs, trying to finish one of many stories, and hanging out with family and friends. Here is the transcript of our interview where we asked her about hobbies, friends, the New Year, and more!

Altogether Separate: Tell us about you! Family, home, lifestyle...etc.

Melody: Hey y’all! My name is Melody. (Actually, it’s my online nickname.) I'm fifteen, a struggling perfectionist and ponderer who lives down South with her seven siblings. (Yes, it makes life interesting. No, we don’t have a reality TV show) Since our house is rarely completely quiet, (I wouldn’t really know), it probably makes our style of schooling a little different. Every day is definitely unique.

Favorite activities or hobbies?

I’ve loved to sing for as long as I can remember, writing is slowly growing on me, traveling is always a special treat, and I just love to laugh. God has blessed me with many wonderful friends and spending time with them is definitely one of my favorite things. I enjoy singing with my choirs, playing flute, viola, and piano, reading, and being outdoors.

Who are your best friends? 

My siblings and parents are definitely my closest friends. My house is now home to three goofy teens (including myself), and we love to spend time together. It’s been difficult for me to make a lot of friends, since I’ve never really been to a homeschool coop, and there’s no youth group at my church. I’ve grown very close to a few friends in just the past few months alone, and I can’t wait to see what God does next. Jesus has the biggest claim on my heart, though, since he bought it. :)

What are your New Year's Resolutions? 

Although I try not to make many of those, I have a couple. :) I want to use the opportunities that God gives me to the absolute best of my abilities. This past year has been filled with so many new adventures and challenges, and I’ve learned so much. I would hate to let a chance to be part of something extraordinary pass me by. On a lighter note, I should probably exercise more often. ;) I’d also like to read more. I haven’t been reading recreationally all that much since I started high school.

What are a couple books that you are looking forward to delving into, and why?

Off the top of my head, I would like to read The Lord of the Rings and finish some of my favorite fantasy series, or maybe even dive headfirst into the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I am very easily transported into another world by a good book. Good fiction makes me happy. :)

How do you intend to grow in the Lord in 2013? 

Faith always has room to grow. I have a lot to learn, and I want to bloom where He has planted me. He knows where I should be, He controls my circumstances, and He knows what’s best. One thing I noticed looked back over 2012 was that there were a lot of new and strange things going on, but God was always, always, always there for me. So, wherever I go this year, He will be there, and that gives me courage to boldly step into a new year and embrace Him as my one consuming passion for living. That’s what I want to learn. I want to break free from less important things and truly live my life for Him and Him alone. Jesus is my reason to live, to be.

If you could give one piece of advice to Christian homeschool girls like you, speaking from experience, what would you say? 

There will be places where you are different; different from the girls on your soccer team, different from the people in your choirs, even different from other Christian homeschool girls that you meet up with occasionally. Don’t change who you are. It may not seem like it now, but somewhere, maybe right under your nose, there’s a girl just like you who needs a friend. God will bring like-minded friends to you in His time. Don’t give up.

Here's a fun one: if you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?

:D I love traveling. A lot. Since I’ve never been out of America, I would love to visit anywhere in the world, really. Hm…I’d want to go to Israel and Greece to see all the history there with my own two eyes.

Melody blogs with her sisters at thesongofthemaidens.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...